TEN TIPS FOR SUCCESS IN RESOLVING PARENTING DISPUTES
1. Be child-focused. Parents must learn to love their children more than they dislike each other.
2. Learn to distinguish between a bad partner and a bad parent.
3. Never speak negatively to the child about the other parent.
4. Never argue or fight in front of your children. No exceptions.
5. Listen to the other parent’s point of view even if you don’t agree with it.
6. Consider mediation before giving the decision-making power to a judge. With the right help, you and your ex-partner may be able to arrive at compromises that will be better for your family than a court-imposed decision.
7. Separate your financial issues from your parenting issues.
8. Be flexible and reasonable in making access arrangements.
9. Your children still see you as a family, so communicate!
10. Don’t hesitate to get help. Family breakdown is one of the most stressful and painful experiences anyone can go through.
From the book Tug of War: A Judge’s Verdict on Separation,
Custody Battles, and the Bitter Realities of Family Court (ECW Press).
Copyright © Mr. Justice Harvey Brownstone, 2009.
Ask for it at your local bookstore or library.